In the gritty novel “Cows,” author Matthew Stokoe paints a disturbing picture of decay and madness. Set in a dilapidated apartment, the story revolves around Steven, a slaughterhouse worker, and his twisted family. As Steven dreams of a better life with Lucy, he faces poisonings, abuse, and a shocking revelation involving cows. This blood-soaked nightmare defies conventions and lingers in your mind.
- Setting: The story takes place in a decaying apartment where a mother, her son, and a paralyzed dog reside. The mother, known as The Hagbeast, has some rather unconventional dinner plans for her child.
- Characters: Meet Steven, the son, who dreams of a safe and happy life, akin to the perfect families he sees on TV. His only companion is Dog, the loyal canine his mother crippled with a brick. Upstairs lives Lucy, who battles toxins accumulating in her body.
- Plot: Steven’s life takes a dark turn when he lands a job at a slaughterhouse. There, he encounters an insane foreman named Cripps, who preaches self-empowerment through killing.
- Desire for Change: Steven envisions a better life with Lucy. They could be like the folks on TV, have a home, and even a baby. But to achieve this, he must survive his nightly poisonings and confront his abusive mother.
- Unexpected Twist: Beneath the city, there are cows—and when they come for Steven, his sights are set much higher. The novel is a visceral, blood-soaked nightmare that defies convention and will linger in your mind long after you finish reading.
This PDF is free to download from public sources and can legally be used for education. We follow copyright laws and only share books that are free to use for school, teaching, and self-study. If you have concerns about the book's source or use, please contact us at [email protected].